Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Blog: Design costumes for a play

Wicked: Full Length of Play – Character Costumes

This play is about the two witches, Glinda and Elphaba. Before Dorthoy had come into their lives, these two witches were competing against each other with good and evil. This play gives the background on their past and how they got to where they are now


Main Characters:
Elphaba – Becomes the wicked witch of the West





I choose this outfit for Elphaba because I wanted something to help fit the character she is. Elphaba has a dark, evil side to her, so I used dark clothes to help grab that essence.



Glinda – The good witch who becomes part of the high society in the Oz’s Northern Province known as Gillikin


When I went to pick a costume out for Glinda, I knew I wanted something that had a delicate, innocent look. I knew if I went with the colors pink and white it would help show that innocent look because they are both calm, cooling colors. I choose the pink magic wand because Glinda has the power of all good and she gives it off by a magic wand.

Nessarose – Elphaba’s younger sister who becomes the Wicked Witch of the West


For Nessarose I went for a dress that had a mixture of two colors. The two colors I went for were black and white. I chose the color black because it shows that she also has a little dark side to her just like her sister Elphaba. I chose the color white because even though she is related to a bad witch, she still has a nice, innocent side to her. So when the mixtures of these colors come together it gives the impression of a dark, calm character with different sides. I chose the sparkling high heels because in the story Nessarose was sent a pair of sparkling shoes, but the only problem was she couldn’t walk. With the help of Glinda, she enchants the pair of shoes which allows Nessarose the ability to walk.


Dr. Dillamond – A talking goat who is also a professor at Shiz University



For Dr. Dillamond I chose to do a goat costume because he is known as a talking goat throughout the play. I also added a professional suit for Dr. Dillamond to wear because he is a college professor too.


Boq – A tall munchkin who is connected with Elphaba



The image I have for a munchkin is someone who wears children clothing and bright colors. So for Boq I went with a pair of overalls with a multi colored shirt to go underneath. I also added a pair of high socks that would be shown by rolling the legs of the overalls up. Lastly, I included a pair of yellow high top sneakers to add more color.


Madame Morrible – Horrible headmistress at Shiz University who is up to no good



For Madame Morrible I chose an all black leather jacket and skirt for her to wear because it gives an edgy look. Madame Morrible is a lady who has an evil, bad side to her, so I wanted to make sure she gave that impression off to others. I also added a red colored blouse that still allows her to professional for her job, but still has an edgy color that adds to the outfit.


Fiyero – A student at Shiz University, the prince of the Arjiki tribe, and has a affair with ElphabA


For Fiyero I chose a prince costume. The reason why I chose this costume is because I feel that it fits who he is as an overall person. He is a student at Shiz University and does have something going on with Elphaba, but his majority of time is being spent as a prince.


Wizard of Oz – A human who arrived in Oz in a hot air balloon from Earth. He had gotten side tracked when he realized he could design a government in Oz.


When the thought of the Wizard of Oz comes to mind I think of someone with has intellectual thinking. I decided to dress the Wizard of Oz in a lab jacket and a pair of glasses. This look gives the impression that Wizard of Oz has the ability to create things and make them work and that is exactly what he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment